Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Side of the Mountain

As a kid, I loved adventure books. The real life or fictional story about youth who went on adventures. I especially loved ones from history or ones set in the wilderness. Hatchet and My Side of the Mountain were ones that stood out to me. Both were stories of boys who ended up in the wilderness and had to survive. I also just read one about two boys who ended up in the artic circle and their survival. Anyway. Today I watched a movie based on My Side of the Mountain. It is such a strange tale. A boy runs away from his home, to a mountain, and lives there from late spring through Christmas. To find nature, to study algea, and to understand himself.
I think I like the idea of wilderness tales because so many times I feel like life is so chaotic, you don't know what is going to happen. I enjoy reading about people who relied on themselves and the world around them to survive. Yet to thrive, I am finding, we must rely on more than ourselves.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

That last sentece seems to really be the key.