Wednesday, January 21, 2009

21 years ago...

Today was the big day, my little brother turned 21.  21 years ago my family was going through chaos.  My brother was born with a life threatening condition and was immediately transfered to another hospital.  My grandfather was in another hospital living his final days.  (He died the next day) I remember that time vividly, I think I was way more aware of all that was happening than anyone expected a six year old too.  More on that some other time...

I also remember sitting around the dining room table one evening.  Kenny was a toddler and we were dreaming about how old we would all be when we we reached different ages.  We figured out how old Sabrina and Kenny would be when I was 18, when she was 18, etc.  I remember we thought about how old we would be when Kenny turned 21.  It seemed so far away, so hard to imagine.  (I would be and am 27 by the way)  These years have been amazing and I am so proud of the man my little brother has become.  

Here are some pics of the evening (I forgot until the last minute and Kenny and his best friend had already left for Matt's hockey game - Matt and Kenny have been best friends since they were two)  




The Counter in Irvine - The best burgers on earth!  (Great people too)



The first beer.  It wasn't too bad. 
(It was also my, my father's and my sister's first taste of beer - something I had avoided until now, but apparently it was quality beer, so I decided to give it a try.)



Kenny also got a big lego set (he isn't all grown up yet) he is collecting the town collection, it is pretty cool actually.


My mom - complaining that I am taking her picture...


My grandma.  You can't tell but her lips are slightly blue from the cake frosting - a fact that greatly disturbed her.  


The cake that my mom smuggled into the place on her lunch break and the restaurant kept in their refrigerator until the appropriate time (they also applied and lit the candles that we had brought.  They did a great job.  
(and I have no idea why this is underlined - I am having all sorts of formatting issues tonight)

All in all it was a great night.  Now, it is late and I need to go to bed!  

No comments: