Thursday, January 15, 2009

The team

When I worked at my church, my team was defined in a number of ways.  They were all, however pretty obvious.  There was the children's ministry team.  A great group of people who I loved doing life and ministry with.  Then there was the two teams that I led.  The Kids Club team and the BLAST team.  The great thing about these teams was that they were obvious.  We did tangible things together (wrangle a group of preschoolers, put on a VBS, take 120 children to Disneyland).  These things brought us together.  We had things to bond over (taking "bets" on which kid is going to spill his juice at snack time, children spitting pickles at D-land - yes that happened and it was nasty, and how can we find room for all these kids at VBS).  This is one of the things I have missed in my new job.  I do have a great team and I love each of them.  Yet, it is harder for me to feel a part of this team because we have our own tasks and what we do is for the most part hard to see how it is effecting people's lives b/c those people are usually far, far away.  I have just realized that I need a new concept of team and so I am trying to be more aware of when I do feel a part of a team in my role at EGM.  So, I am writing about it, in order to help make it more tangible.  So here they are...  Today I spent a while chatting with one of our staff members who lives in Romania, but was currently in Hungary.  We talked about ministry, our struggles, differences and similarities.  We found out more about each other and encouraged one another.  It was a great moment of Team.  It was a simple chat online, but it was great.  The second moment of team I had today, was this evening.  I spent about an hour or so with three great friends.  We went through nine lessons and brainstormed them.  This is such a blessing to me as it means that I don't have to sit at my desk and start from scratch.  It is also fun to be together.  That is all for today and maybe for a while. 

No comments: