Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Wonders of In-N-Out

Tonight I came home around 4:30, then around 5 I realized that I needed to eat dinner.  (Although seemingly obvious, today has been somewhat of a rough day, so it wasn't obvious right away)   I opened the cabinet and freezer and realized that I did not want to eat the TV dinner I had and I didn't have much more than that.  It is towards the end of the week... So I decided to go drive through In-N-Out.  There of course was a long line, it went all of the way out of the drive through area.  No worries I thought, I don't have anything else to do.  So, I waited, the guy took my order, he was quite cheerful.  Then as I crept closer to the payment window I was noticing the amazing purpose with which the employees were moving about with.  The guy taking money seemed to be seldom at the window, yet everytime a new car pulled up, he was magically there.  He greeted me nicely and took my money and gave me my receipt.  Here is when it became amazing.  I watched through the window as the workers went to and fro, moving french fries, flipping burgers, assembling them.  It was a work of art.  It was actually making me happier, just sitting there watching them.  The best part?  They seemed happy, they were joking with each other and laughing.  They were working hard and having a good time doing it.  I eventually made it up to the window.  The guy confirmed my order and handed me my drink.  Then he realized he was still waiting for my fries.  He communicated the need to the french fry guy, who was working on it.  Then while I was waiting, another guy came up to check again if I had everything I needed (catchup, etc) so that once the fries were ready I would be able to leave.  It was amazing.  I wondered as I left why I did not feel frustrated having waited nearly 15 minutes for my food, when I wait a sometimes a whole lot less than that at other fast food places.  I realized that the quality of service as well as the high level of energy that the people were putting into making my dinner made me respect and value them so much more than those many employees at other places who seem to work in begrudgingly.  I was grateful for my dinner.  They had served me well.  They were still technically working at a burger joint, but they were awesome and have continued to set themselves apart from those other establishments.  
How do we in our lives set ourselves apart?

1 comment:

Karly said...

ok, i SO want a in-n-out grilled cheese now...